| Previous Post »
| Previous Post »
| Previous Post »
| Previous Post »
| Previous Post »
| Previous Post »
| Previous Post »
| Previous Post »
| Previous Post »

Mořský ježek, What's In a Name?


Of the droves of eager blog readers jamming my precious bandwidth (cue laughtrack), one has asked whence comes the title of this webspace? What, if anything, is a mořský ježek? Here is the answer.

Mořský is an adjective derived from the word moře, sea, and ježek is Czech for hedgehog. A Czech “sea hedgehog” is sea urchin in English. I found this by chance while looking up ježek in my Czech-English dictionary. Ježek is also a Czech family name, as in Jaroslav Ježek (1906–1942), one of my favorite Czech composers. He wrote classical music and songs with jazz influence in the 1920s and ’30s. When I saw the note in the dictionary’s entry on ježek that said (mořský ~, sea urchin) it stuck in my mind. At least since Shakespeare wrote about the “coasts of Bohemia,” Czechs have had a we-have-no-sea inferiority complex. The country is landlocked, and there is a strange fascination with “the sea.” So the name was a great combination of a bizarre Czech obsession and my interest in Czech music.

Comments:

Blogger Karla said . . .

I was wondering when someone would ask about that. It didn't seem automatically music related even though Ježek did cross the Atlantic.    

4:20 PM, November 06, 2005


Blogger Karla said . . .

I agree about the image of the sea-hedgehog. While I like sea urchins, I too had visions of the mořský ježek being a special kind of aquatic hedgehog, sort of like North American marsh and swamp rabbits that (according to my North American Mammals guide) like to swim.    

7:19 PM, November 06, 2005


» Post a Comment