| Previous Post »
| Previous Post »
| Previous Post »
| Previous Post »
| Previous Post »
| Previous Post »
| Previous Post »
| Previous Post »
| Previous Post »

Ancient Czech Blend


You're probably thinking I get a commission for all this product placement, but I don't. :(

Today's feature is Jihlavanka's "Ancient Czech Blend." It's coffee. The package clarifies below, in case you weren't sure what was in the bag, "genuine Czech Turkish coffee." A blurb on the back of the package suggests that, for "preparing a really strong genuine cup of Turkish coffee, the Ancient Czech Blend is absolutely ideal." Since this is bound to confuse some shoppers (I haven't met any Czech Turks in Tesco recently who might explain), the packaging includes a helpful serving suggestion (displayed at left): white cup and saucer, black foamy liquid. The white plumy thing is supposed to indicate, "serve piping hot."

I normally drink tea in the mornings, but it is nice to have coffee around. Being a graduate student I have inclinations toward coffee snobbery--actually it's not a matter of taste alone, buying instant coffee doesn't really cross my mind when I'm at the store in the U.S.--but, as the beverage post revealed, I have resorted to instant coffee here. There are practical reasons for this. It is, one, rare to find a large selection of whole-bean coffees in any store here. Most (if not all) of the downtown Tesco's coffee selection is instant; the rest is pre-ground. And, two, coffee-making equipment is not available either. I didn't even see filters while I was there this afternoon. This was explained in icon form on the back of the Ancient Czech blend. Recommended preparation: 1) Add seven grams of blend to empty cup. 2) Pour in 100-degree liquid (water?). 3) Look at cup?

Now I seem to be set. I don't have (only) imitation powdered coffee but the real thing. But there is one problem. I can't drink it. I have no cup to match.


Tags: , ,

Comments:

Blogger Karla said . . .

Hmm, where did I get my filter? The kitchenwares at Tesco or the drogerie at Kotva?

But if you get used to drinking turkish coffee, that will be extremely Czech.    

11:02 PM, November 24, 2005


Anonymous Anonymous said . . .

I wouldn't be all that afraid to drink instant coffee once in a while. That's all Aunt Ruth would drink and she lived to be almost 102. Enjoy!    

9:31 PM, November 28, 2005


Blogger Karla said . . .

I can't help but inquire what else Aunt Ruth did to improve her longevity... Frequent polkaing?    

9:49 PM, November 28, 2005


» Post a Comment