| Previous Post »
| Previous Post »
| Previous Post »
| Previous Post »
| Previous Post »
| Previous Post »
| Previous Post »
| Previous Post »
| Previous Post »

My Crumbling House 2


Actually, leaky would be more like it this time. When I returned to Brno after the Christmas holidays I found the following note from my neighbor:

Hi Jesse!

Sometimes our toilet is making trouble. After flushing, the water does not stop and continues flowing (sometimes it even gets outside - that is why it was wet on the floor this morning). To stop it is necessary to move (push) the flush handle upwards and move the lid of the tank.

Have a nice Christmas!


It was illustrated with helpful technical drawings. There is a picture of the entire toilet, in which the bowl is conveniently identified, and then there is a detail of the tank with helpful step-by-step indications. My neighbor is studying engineering. Can you tell? I didn't notice the wet floor, but one never knows when something else may go wrong around here. At least there are qualified residents. (Next time we have a musicological emergency perhaps I will come to the rescue.)

Comments:

Blogger Karla said . . .

OK, now I know I can no longer put off the saga of the ever-running. Unfortunately I don't have such picturesque (well, evocative) photos or any engineering diagrams to bring in.    

9:39 PM, January 12, 2006


Anonymous Anonymous said . . .

Are you sure it is a diagram of how to fix the toilet? It looks more like a map to a secret underground lair via your toilet. Take heart; you could have the toilet from Trainspotting...    

4:22 AM, January 13, 2006


Blogger P'tit-Loup said . . .

Joe, that was great. I do like that along with the instruction to "fix" the problemed toilet, your neighbor wishes you "merry christmas." Seems likes it all goes together: a good working plumbing system and a good holiday!    

7:42 AM, January 14, 2006


Blogger Karla said . . .

It's certainly important to have functional plumbing during the holidays. My family will never forget the experience of moving into a house over Christmas and having the septic tank back up on Christmas Eve.    

4:02 PM, January 14, 2006


Anonymous Anonymous said . . .

yes, but the holiday would have been so much better if there really were a working toilet and a secret underground lair. I wonder what sort of Czech superheroes would live there?    

4:44 PM, January 15, 2006


Blogger Karla said . . .

Yes, but who wants to have to get to the secret lair via the toilet? I hope that's not how the Beavers got the Pevensey children away from the wolves. (You will recall that the movie cleverly avoids showing them leaving the homey part of the beaver dam.)    

11:43 PM, January 16, 2006


» Post a Comment