| Previous Post »
| Previous Post »
| Previous Post »
| Previous Post »
| Previous Post »
| Previous Post »
| Previous Post »
| Previous Post »
| Previous Post »

Sushi on Friday!



Sushi at Cafe Onyx
Originally uploaded by youplayawhat.
I read an article a while back that complained about Brno's lack of restaurants of a better sort. Well, they obviously hadn't visited the Cafe Onyx, on Zámečnická street just off the main square (nám. Svobody).

I saw this written on their windows a few days ago when I walked by: "Sushi on Friday!" I have eaten at the Cafe before, and I must say that it is pretty high class for Brno--not really the kind of place that I like to go for a coffee, but the kind of place that you might take your clients if you were a banker or lawyer and liked sharp-edged modernistic design and onyx-topped tables.

The restaurant's design is a vague homage to the Tugendhat villa, a UNESCO-recognized mansion in Brno, designed by Mies van der Rohe and built in the late 1920s. One of the most appealing parts of the villa's open-plan entertainment area is the onyx wall that acts as a divider between the library and sitting areas. At sunset on a sunny day, the light hits this wall and creates a eerie, orange-red glow. The restaurant's walls are onyx with fluorescent lights behind them, which sort of approximates the effect.

Apart from the fact that I would steer clear of sushi in a country that has no ocean within hundreds of kilometers of its borders (hence why they advertise ahead for a one-day thing, I suppose), the restaurant is at least worth a look.

Comments:

Blogger Unknown said . . .

Don't worry Jesse. When you get back to the states, we'll take you out for some good Sushi--and probably Mexican food. (I promise I'll respond to your e-mail soon!)    

1:18 AM, April 11, 2006


» Post a Comment