| Previous Post »
| Previous Post »
| Previous Post »
| Previous Post »
| Previous Post »
| Previous Post »
| Previous Post »
| Previous Post »
| Previous Post »

České jazykolamy


A selection of my favorite Czech tongue-twisters.

The infamous sentence without vowels:
Strč prst skrz krk. [Stick a finger through your throat.]

Or:
Vlk zhlt hrst zrn, zvlh plž pln skvrn! [A wolf wolfs a handful of grain, [and] slobbers on a spotted slug.]

The ř, classic:
Tři sta třiatřicet stříbrných stříkaček stříkalo přes tři sta třiatřicet stříbrných střech. [Three-hundred thirty-three silvery splashes over three-hundred thirty-three silvery roofs.]

The ř, food:
Kmotře Petře, nepřepepři pepřem toho vepře. [God-father Peter, don’t over-pepper that pork with pepper.]

The ostriches:
Pštros s pštrosicí a pštrosáčaty šli do pštrosárny. [The ostrich father, mother, and baby went to the ostrich area.]

And then English:
Betty Botter bought a bit of bitter butter, and she put it in her batter but it made her batter bitter. So, she bought a bit of better butter and she put it in her batter and it made her bitter batter better.

Ha, Czechs, let’s hear you do that one three times fast.

Comments:

Blogger Karla said . . .

Ooh, two new ones for me to practice! I am especially taken with the slobbering wolf and the spotted slug, but that's the kind of thing Santa Cruz alums are drawn to.

I don't think that when I could say the ostrich one there was anything about an ostrich area, though. I think it was just the family. I did a version about moas along the same lines, not that moas make for a very difficult tonguetwister. I can't remember how we figured out the mother moas but the baby must have been moačaty. (We could go to the Národní muzeum and chant it at the moa replica. In fact, let's take Alex and have her film the result.)    

10:44 PM, November 29, 2005


Blogger Julia said . . .

Nice tongue twisters - I've known prst krk for years, but the wolf is a new one for me and even better I think I can manage to say it at least one time through fast!    

9:34 PM, January 02, 2006


» Post a Comment