| Previous Post »
| Previous Post »
| Previous Post »
| Previous Post »
| Previous Post »
| Previous Post »
| Previous Post »
| Previous Post »
| Previous Post »

The State of Gender Studies



Gender Studies
Originally uploaded by youplayawhat.
While I was walking in downtown Prague yesterday with Karla, we happened upon a Prague center for gender studies featuring an "information center" and "library." It's just behind the dancing building at Jiráskovo náměstí. It struck us as quite amusing that the scantily clad masculine statuary above the imposing doorway appeared to be glaring down at the upstart gender studies center. They were, however, too busy holding up the building to do anything about the sign. The sign fared better from my camera's perspective as it seems to dwarf the statuary in the picture.

Comments:

Blogger Karla said . . .

Well, at least now I know where to find it, even though you never know whether those atlantids over the sign might leap down and crush me as I try to go inside. Maybe we can venture there in January when their heads are covered with more snow and they don't notice.    

6:46 PM, December 19, 2005


Blogger Karla said . . .

I see that on Flickr you identify them as the Patriarchy. They do look like its enforcers to me. I wonder if Rostislav Švácha mentions them in his book on Prague architecture?    

6:53 PM, December 19, 2005


Anonymous Anonymous said . . .

Well, there are fairly similarly atlantids on many other buildings, so I doubt he mentions that one in particular. As far as I know, Brno is the only place with a "House of Four Momlases" that are just barely holding their togas on and the building up at the same time. I suppose Brno didn't want to be too mainstream.    

10:07 PM, December 19, 2005


Blogger Karla said . . .

You'll have to take me to the House of Four Momlases one of these days. If I had any sense, I would be photographing more oddball architectural details like these.    

10:16 PM, December 19, 2005


» Post a Comment