| Previous Post »
| Previous Post »
| Previous Post »
| Previous Post »
| Previous Post »
| Previous Post »
| Previous Post »
| Previous Post »
| Previous Post »

Water, Water


It's raining for the second day in a row. This is a situation that could go on and on and on. It's not really a problem, but all the more noticeable in the wake of the beautifully sunny spring weather we had last week. Or perhaps it was because I was in Prague last weekend and Prague is like a tropical oasis compared to Brno &mdash weatherwise at least. True, it's not really an oasis or tropical, but spring was certainly farther along there. It's all relative.

The rain reminds me that I never posted my pictures from the Brno dam and reservoir. I walked up there about two weeks ago. At the time the water volume was quite high due the floodwaters. It wasn't anything too extreme, but the open sluice certainly appeared to be at capacity.




You can get an idea of the perspective in this last picture &mdash see all the little people on the top and in the foreground? It is surprising how close houses are built to this dam. (You can't see them in the picture, but they are there, just off to the right of the generator house.)

Thank goodness for these old pictures. Otherwise I might have had nothing to post! This was the announcement that greeted me from the Moravian Library today:
"Z technických důvodů bude knihovna otevřena v pátek 28. 4. do 19.00 a 29. 4.–1. 5. zavřena
Děkujeme za pochopení.
" [Due to technical reasons the library will be open on Friday, April 28, until 7:00 p.m. From April 29 to May 1 the library will be closed. Thank you for your understanding.]

I understand the closure on Monday, May 1: it's May Day, or "Work Holiday" here. But what are the technical reasons that have caused the library to be closed today as well? I'm thinking it's "technically" vacation and they felt like not opening today, but then some people call me cynical.

Tags: , ,

Comments:

Blogger Holly said . . .

Jesse,

walking through your blog is stealing glimpses of a life I could have had. Brno defined my existence from 91-98, though I only lived there two of those years.

But it's not just that you live in the same city-- you observe things in much the same style as I did, you enjoy Czech. You are engaged in this crazy life, but with perspective.

Your writing brought me so clearly back to Brno that I could smell a bit of my old apartment even as I sit in Boston.

Something shifted in my life, and Czechophilia is no longer a defining or even major part of my life. But those years have built up layers of my identity. Thanks for sharing your adventures. They mean so much to me. Tonight anyway. I'll try to remember to come back often.

Take a little trip to Jundrov for me some day. It's the best.

Zatim...

Holly    

5:58 AM, May 01, 2006


Blogger morskyjezek said . . .

Hi Holly, thanks for stopping by. I hope it was an enjoyable reminiscence. I plan to be keep up the blog for at least a few more months, although as the summer approaches things will get more busy. Please keep reading (and commenting). :-) -Jesse    

11:41 AM, May 01, 2006


» Post a Comment