| Previous Post »
| Previous Post »
| Previous Post »
| Previous Post »
| Previous Post »
| Previous Post »
| Previous Post »
| Previous Post »
| Previous Post »

Oot and Aboot


I'm rarely into these blog quizzes and other gags, but once in a while they capture my attention. And this one did so because I thought it really worked. Now you'll know a little bit more about the way I talk. Just imagine asking me this question, "Are you Canadian?" And I answer, "No. But I wish I had that accent."

What American accent do you have?
Your Result: North Central
 

"North Central" is what professional linguists call the Minnesota accent. If you saw "Fargo" you probably didn't think the characters sounded very out of the ordinary. Outsiders probably mistake you for a Canadian a lot.

The West
 
The Midland
 
Boston
 
The Inland North
 
The South
 
Philadelphia
 
The Northeast
 
What American accent do you have?
Quiz Created on GoToQuiz


However, I thought the Fargo accents were about the most ridiculous I've ever heard. In fact, I do use intonation, which goes a long way toward changing the accent (and also screws up my Czech). I very rarely say "oot and aboot" (the quiz didn't ask that directly), but occasionally I do. But all things considered, the quiz was pretty good.

Thankes to Geoffrey Chaucer fare the tippe.

Comments:

Blogger tuckova said . . .

I come up strong for the West and the South (stronger for West), which makes sense, because I grew up thinking the big cats were called "taggers"; getting beat up after we moved to California did wonders for getting rid of most of the accent, but it will insist on popping up from time to time (like pen/pin).

Fun test.    

8:37 AM, December 08, 2006


Blogger Karla said . . .

I got Inland North, which is reasonable. I don't know where the pen/pin confusion is based since I heard people pronounce pen as pin in both Illinois and California. It's pretty irritating to try to find a pin for someone and then discover that they only wanted a pen.    

8:55 PM, December 09, 2006


Anonymous Anonymous said . . .

I apparently have the Midland North accent which "is just another way to say you don't have an accent". I am NOT from the North, but interestingly, they also list Florida and larger Southern cities under this. Very fun test. Thanks for that! And, Karla, I pronounce pen and pin differently. Always have. You don't? Interesting!    

2:47 AM, December 11, 2006


» Post a Comment