| Previous Post »
| Previous Post »
| Previous Post »
| Previous Post »
| Previous Post »
| Previous Post »
| Previous Post »
| Previous Post »
| Previous Post »

Not In Central Europe?


In the last week I saw two signs that reminded me I’m not in Central Europe anymore (as if there was any question). But the best part about them is that I think you’ll enjoy them, too. (Click on the pictures or captions for readable versions.)


Tired of Amateurs?
Uploaded by youplayawhat.
It wasn't all fun and games in Chicago last week, I saw a few strange signs as well. For example, though we in truth didn't know what to make of it, this sign (at left) was posted next to Sarah's car when we came back. It was certainly better than the signs about Brno employment, though doubtless the sign would've been for something else in Brno.



No Cabbage Today?!
Originally uploaded by youplayawhat.
Then this evening at the grocery store, I saw this. Can you imagine a self-respecting Czech potraviny in this day and age without some zelí?!? It’s like being caught with your pants down. But in our consumerist America you can have all the choice of pre-cooked, fresh-tasting, just-like-homemade, just-nuke-it, gourmet entrees that you want, but you can't get the simple things. Oh well, at least I walked away with a smile on my face. :-)


Tags: ,

Comments:

Blogger Karla said . . .

Hmm, like the sign, although I have to say that thus far I've been pretty content to have my genitals handled by amateurs (think of the root of this word) and by myself (also an amateur in the best sense of the word). I kind of like the "amo amas amat" aspect of the nonprofessional touch.

This afternoon, incidentally, I learned that Andre Breton felt the same way about the subject, or so he claimed in Communicating Vessels. I was mildly surprised. Breton said nothing, to my knowledge, about his opinions on zeli, so I'll point out that I personally will miss the zeli when I return to the US. (And also the Becherovka, of which I have just partaken.)    

10:16 PM, March 18, 2007


Anonymous Anonymous said . . .

"In the last week I saw two signs that reminded me I’m not in Central Europe anymore"

I had to guess about it    

7:35 PM, March 20, 2007


Blogger morskyjezek said . . .

You had to guess I wasn't in central Europe? Sorry - I mentioned it only vaguely in passing. But don't worry, I'll be back. :-)    

4:04 PM, March 21, 2007


Blogger Karla said . . .

So, have you booked your flight yet?    

10:32 PM, March 23, 2007


Blogger morskyjezek said . . .

=:-o    

1:21 AM, March 24, 2007


» Post a Comment